Deploy an application with WPP
Now that WPP is configured, we will see how to deploy an application. To illustrate the tutorial, we will see how to deploy the Fusion Inventory agent if it is already present on the computer.
Add an update
Enter the update information, Publisher 1 , Product Name 2 , Title 3 (this will be visible in the WSUS console and on the clients, enter the parameters of the installation if necessary 4 and click Next 5 .
Now you have to configure two rules:
- Find out if the update is already present
- Whether the update needs to be installed
For that we will do two tests:
- Is the Uninstall.exe file for the agent present?
- We will compare the version of this file to know which version is installed.
Rule to find out if the update is already installed
In order to know if the update is already installed, one chooses the operator Superior or equal to, in this way if a newer version of the agent is installed in another way, the version deployed by WSUS will be considered as already installed on the post.
Rule to know if the update is installable
This part works in the same way as for creating rules to check if the update is installed. We will add the same controls as the rule previously seen by changing the comparison operator for the version of the file, we must use the operator less than. Once conditions are added, click on Next 1 .
Manage an update
Since the details of an update, it is possible to:
- Approve: This allows the computer in WSUS to install it.
- Decline: stop installing it.
- Expire: the update is no longer relevant
- Revise: allows to modify the conditions of application of the update.
Approve the update
Click the Approve button on the update details to open a new window.