Windows Server Update Service (WSUS) is a built-in role in Windows Server, which enables the implementation of a Microsoft Updates distribution system internally.
The benefits of WSUS:
- Monitoring the deployment of updates
- Reduced internet bandwidth
- Update Installation Report
- Ability to uninstall an update in case of problem.
- A physical or virtual machine dedicated to WSUS.
- 4GB of RAM minimum
- 2 OS and DATA hard drives. The DATA volume will depend on the number of products and classification that will be activated. 200 to 300 GB of space is good start.
- An instance of SQL Server (Express) – recommended
The server does not have to be in a domain.
Before you start installing and configuring WSUS, I recommend that you list the Microsoft products you want to update with the service.
The whole catalog of Microsoft products is available, if in your organization, for example, you have a SharePoint server, is it really interesting to store the updates for this product on your WSUS server, it is the same if you have any “Old” Office 2007 / Windows XP type products …
I also advise you to be careful if you enable updates for SQL Server, make sure before your applications are compatible with the service packs