In this tutorial, we will see how to move a virtual machine from one Hyper-V host to another host.
This feature is called Dynamic Migration, it should not be confused with the feature that has the same name in the failover cluster.
Dynamic migration lets you move a running virtual machine to another hyper-v if you have compatible processor models (same generation).
You can not move a powered vm from a server with an AMD processor to a server with an Intel server.
Hyper-v servers must:
- to be under the same version of Windows
- to be a member of an Active Directory domain
- have the same generation of processor
- have enough disk space and memory to receive the running virtual machine
- optional: have the same name for virtual switches.
If the processors are not compatible, it is possible to move the VM off..