In this article, we will have how to back up user profiles with MDT during a deployment. Use of this feature is useful in the following cases:
- Change of computer of a user.
- Reinstalling the computer
- Upgrade version of Windows.
To save the user profiles of a computer, there are 2 solutions (actually much more than MDT is flexible):
- During the Windows deployment sequence, it is possible to back up the user data that is backed up on the computer and restored or to a network share configured in the customsettings.ini file.
- Creation of a backup sequence, which can be triggered when starting on the WinPE image or directly from the computer. The restoration is done during the installation.
In this tutorial, I do not go into the details of the task sequences.
To make this tutorial, we must already “master” MDT.
When installing ADK on the MDT server, USMT must have been installed.
Backup by a task sequence
A second window appears for the full computer backup (WIM image), select the option Do not back up the existing computer
User profiles will be restored.
The use of profile backup functionality with MDT allows teams in charge of changing / deploying workstations to be able to save a lot of time with automatic backup and restore of profiles.
Despite this backup automatically certainly application like Firefox recreating a profile, in this case just move the data.